Green Screen Paint from Home Depot

Anything related to chroma key photography

Green Screen Paint from Home Depot

Postby Damon » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:28 pm

If you search the web, you will find green screen paint for sale. It usually costs from $50-$75 per gallon. What makes this paint so magical that it is worth $75 per gallon?

Answer: There is nothing special about chroma key paint. It's just green latex paint.........really it is. There is nothing special about it. Its generally a flat latex.

The only thing special about green screen paint is that it is mixed with a green hue that is a very true green. Recently, I went to the home depot and got swatch samples for every green shade in Behr and Glidden paint. I then taped these to my green screen and took some photos. I brought the images into Photoshop and used the color picker to find the best match.

The winner was Behr "Gamma Sector Green" from the Disney paint collection. It matched the green screen almost perfectly. I used this paint to make a green platform for a photo shoot of my boy's football team. It worked perfectly.

For green screen, you need a low sheen paint. You'll want either a flat or flat enamel. Flat enamel has a slightly higher sheen then flat but it can be cleaned easier. If you are having kids stand on a platform with dirty cleats then the flat enamel makes more sense.

Also, if you are shooting with 2 different green sources such as a painted platform and a muslin backdrop, its best to match the color as close as possible between the two. Although not absolutely needed, this does help make extraction quicker and easier.

If you try this painted platform with a muslin green screen technique, try to keep the platform and green screen screen within 5 degrees of each other for the hue value. You may need to experiment with different paint samples to get a color that matches your particular green screen.

If you want to use only paint (painted wall for example) and don't plan to mix it with another green cloth backdrop then Gamma Sector Green will work perfectly.

sample4.jpg
sample4.jpg (71.36 KiB) Viewed 34450 times

Here is a sample image using a painted green platform with the Gamma Sector Green paint and a muslin green screen. Although the subject looks to be only a foot or 2 away from the screen, he is actually about 5-6 feet away. Make sure to have at least 5-6 feet of spacing between the subject and the screen. You can download this image to test here. http://www.photoshopgreenscreen.com/images/green_screen_sample.jpg

sample7.jpg
sample7.jpg (92.11 KiB) Viewed 34448 times

Here is the "one click" extraction using Easy Green Screen. The default settings were used and nothing was tweaked afterwards.

sample8.jpg
sample8.jpg (72.71 KiB) Viewed 34448 times
Damon
Forum Admin

Re: Green Screen Paint from Home Depot

Postby 509 Graphics » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:02 am

Thanks for the info on that paint Damon! I shot my daughter's soccer team last night (a day early to try and avoid scheduling conflicts tonight) and didn't want to have them step on the muslin, so I had a bit of channel masking to do for the concrete below them. The wind was a bit high yesterday too, so rather than bring my stands out for the screen I just had a couple parents hold the screen up behind them.

It sure would be nice to have something fairly portable for setting up on location, but for larger groups I have a feeling an enclosed trailer might be necessary to haul everything. Perhaps a painted floor and wall made out of 1/4" MDF?

Kevin
509 Graphics

Postby Damon » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:47 pm

A painted wall and floor are a great idea for sure. One thing to keep in mind is green reflected light from the floor and screen. Too much exposed green will reflect more light and cause more green spill.

If you go with a large floor and wall then you may want to have some neutral colored sheets to cover the areas that are not needed when doing single shot. Its best to have the green background and floor only as big as needed to extract the image to avoid the excessive spill.

I've thought about going to a painted wall setup but having a backdrop stand to hang gray sheets on each side to block the green where it isn't needed. I'd then have the entire wall to use for the occasions where it was needed for a larger group.
Damon
Forum Admin

Postby go_canes » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:49 pm

That looks awesome, I need to get some of the paint and make a stand. It would probably get scuffed and dirty but another fresh coat would be easy to do.

The boy in the photo has the glare in his eyes like he is going to pummel someone. I'm guessing a linebacker? :x
go_canes

Postby 509 Graphics » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:49 am

Damon wrote:A painted wall and floor are a great idea for sure. One thing to keep in mind is green reflected light from the floor and screen. Too much exposed green will reflect more light and cause more green spill.

If you go with a large floor and wall then you may want to have some neutral colored sheets to cover the areas that are not needed when doing single shot. Its best to have the green background and floor only as big as needed to extract the image to avoid the excessive spill.

I've thought about going to a painted wall setup but having a backdrop stand to hang gray sheets on each side to block the green where it isn't needed. I'd then have the entire wall to use for the occasions where it was needed for a larger group.

After we move I'm going to try and get a more permanent in-house studio setup with a dedicated green screen area, I would definitely like to work on a seamless background. I've seen some kits out there that are rather expensive, but I'll be working the DIY route for it.
509 Graphics

Postby Damon » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:41 am

go_canes wrote:That looks awesome, I need to get some of the paint and make a stand. It would probably get scuffed and dirty but another fresh coat would be easy to do.

The boy in the photo has the glare in his eyes like he is going to pummel someone. I'm guessing a linebacker? :x

Actually, he plays defensive and offensive tackle. He prefers defense though. He said he likes tackling but blocking is boring. I think we will try to work on his skills for playing DB or linebacker next year. Although he's doing a good job on the line, he's a little undersized to play there long term.

If you do some football portraits, be sure to post them. We'd love to see them (even if they are wearing Miami colors ;) ).
Damon
Forum Admin

Postby go_canes » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:04 pm

Damon wrote:If you do some football portraits, be sure to post them. We'd love to see them (even if they are wearing Miami colors ;) ).

Not sure if I'll have anything ready in time this year because my nephews season ends in 2 weeks but if i do then I'll post something for sure. I still want to get a greenscreen system set up soon because there are so many thing that it looks like can be done with it. I'll send some samples for critique when I have some to post.
go_canes

Postby David_Carthage » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:15 am

509 Graphics wrote:After we move I'm going to try and get a more permanent in-house studio setup with a dedicated green screen area, I would definitely like to work on a seamless background. I've seen some kits out there that are rather expensive, but I'll be working the DIY route for it.

Making your green screen from a painted wall often works best, but there are some other options if you're going the DIY road. You can see some of the other material options for making your own chromakey green screen here: chromakey background material options. If you have the room for it, though, painting a wall with a cheaper, non-$50 bucket of paint and creating your own chromakey green studio will give you great results for relatively little money compared to the other options...
David_Carthage

Postby yoda » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:04 pm

David_Carthage wrote:If you have the room for it, though, painting a wall with a cheaper, non-$50 bucket of paint and creating your own chromakey green studio will give you great results for relatively little money compared to the other options...

The walls from the blog are really large. I wonder if this would cause a lot of green spill problems. If I'm just shooting a people should I paint a smaller section of a wall instead?
yoda

Postby gregkeys » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:31 pm

Or, paint a large section just in case you need to shoot a large group or props etc, then put up some black curtains so you can crop off what you do not need for a particular shot.

Greg
gregkeys

Next

Return to General Green Screen